Chipotle Candied Bacon and Smoked Blue Cheese Pizza
This pizza is a Christmas party in your mouth, with sweet and crispy bacon that's spiced up with chipotle sass, and a rich, smoky tang of blue cheese, all snuggled up on a pizza crust. The blend of sweet, spicy, and smoky flavours is pure magic. So, fire up the pizza oven, kick back, and get ready to experience pizza nirvana!
- 250g pizza dough ball for a 12-inch pizza or 350g for a larger 16-inch pizza
- Some flour for dusting
To make the candied bacon:
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp chipotle chilli powder
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 100g of freshly grated Gruyère cheese
- 250g smoked blue cheese, crumbled
- Fresh rosemary sprigs
- Heat the olive oil in pan or skillet over a medium heat.
- Add the chopped bacon and cook until some of the fat has rendered, but the bacon is not yet crispy.
- Mix the sugar and chilli powder in a bowl, then sprinkle over the bacon and stir well.
- Now continue to cook until the bacon is crispy.
- Transfer to a paper towel to drain off any excess fat.
- Get your pizza oven nice and hot.
- Stretch out your pizza dough ball on a floured surface to your desired pizza size (12" or 16").
Time for the fun part.
- Sprinkle the Gruyère cheese on the pizza as a cheese 'base' to help everything stick.
- Pile on the bacon and crumbled blue cheese (saving a little for topping later).
- Transfer the pizza to your peel - remember to dust the peel with some flour or semolina to stop the dough from sticking - and into the hot pizza oven for 1-2 minutes.
- When cooked, top with the remaining blue cheese and fresh rosemary then serve up for a sweet, spicy, smoky party in your mouth.