Do you find yourself repeatedly sticking to the same cheese for your pizzas? Don't worry; we've all been there!
At Babadoh HQ we’ve been guilty of overusing Mozzarella, Cheddar, and Parmesan for handiness. This past year our experimentation has gone up a notch though, and we’ve enjoyed lots of wonderful and tasty cheese on our pies.
We all know the cheese world is vast and exciting, filled with a variety of flavours and textures just waiting to be explored. So, if like us you were stuck in a bit of a rut, why not break out of your cheesy comfort zone and experiment with different options to create a pizza experience that's truly unique and tantalising?
First up on a voyage of experimentation is Gouda! This cheese is a gorgeous blend of creaminess and slight sweetness. We find it plays well on its own or with other cheese pals like Gruyère and Emmental. And if you're feeling adventurous, pairing it with a bold blue cheese like Gorgonzola or Roquefort can create a cheese sensation!
Other great things about Gouda on a pizza:
- Melts like a dream!
- Is mild, slightly sweet, and a bit nutty.
- Pairs with lots of toppings.
- Adds texture contrast with a golden-brown crust.
- Smells amazing!
Whilst we are big Ricotta fans we had our doubts about Ricotta as a pizza topping. Boy oh boy though, have we been pleasantly surprised! Ricotta's creamy and slightly sweet texture transforms into a velvety masterpiece when baked atop a pizza crust.
Having now been completely converted, one of our favourite ways to use ricotta on pizza is dotted over fresh tomatoes and sprinkled with basil and olive oil - simple but delicious. If you have any leftover tomatoes from making pizza sauce, you should try this one out!
Some other great things about Ricotta on a pizza:
- Get creative by using ricotta as a stuffing for your pizza crust, adding an extra layer of flavour and excitement to every bite.
- Not to brag but it looks seriously stunning on a pizza, with its creamy white appearance standing out against the toppings.
- If your pizza includes rich or bold ingredients it steps in like a flavour referee and creates a harmonious bite.
- It’s a great team player, suiting classic and more adventurous pizza toppings, making it a go-to choice for all pizza styles.
Hey, we get it – goat's cheese isn't everyone's cheese of choice, but here's the scoop on why you should totally give it a shot on your pizza. First, it's got this tangy kick that can jazz up your pizza party. When it takes a cosy trip to the pizza oven, it turns into this creamy, melt-in-your-mouth goodness that's like a surprise party in every bite.
Plus, it's a chameleon of cheeses – it goes with almost anything you throw on your pizza, from the classics to the wild stuff. And here's a bonus: if you're keeping an eye on your waistline, it's a lighter cheese option that still brings the flavour. So, be adventurous and invite some goats cheese to your pizza shindig – it might just steal the show!
Other good reasons to put goat's cheese on a pizza:
- Has a creamy, spreadable vibe that gets even more luscious in the oven, like a pizza velvet hug.
- The mild tanginess is not too in-your-face, so it's best pals with all sorts of toppings – from savoury stunners to sweet surprises.
- If you're keeping an eye on the old waistline, this is your cheese buddy. It's lower on the fat and calories scale compared to some cheese heavyweights. Plus, it brings in protein and those good-for-you nutrients. So, it's not just tasty; it's a healthier choice too!
Ah, the age-old debate over blue cheese on pizza! It's like a battle of taste buds in our very own living rooms. Some are on 'Team Bold and Funky', bravely declaring their love for that pungent blue cheese punch. They revel in its tangy rebellion amidst a sea of mozzarella conformity.
On the flip side, there's 'Team Mild and Mellow', cautiously raising an eyebrow at the idea of cheese that could double as a superhero sidekick – fighting crime with its intense flavour. They might consider blue cheese an acquired taste, something best appreciated from a safe distance. But in the end, whether you're a fearless member of 'Team Bold' or a wary observer from 'Team Mild', the beauty of pizza is that there's room for all tastes under that stretchy, cheesy canopy. So, if you haven’t used it before it might be fun to test this with a pizza night showdown! One half can be a bold blue cheese masterpiece, while the other stays safely in the realm of the classics.
With Blue cheese we find it's a good idea to check out any specialty cheese shops in your area. Here are the ones we have used in our own pizzas:
- Gorgonzola: this Italian wonder brings tangy, crumbly, and creamy vibes.
- Roquefort: the bold and salty French superstar of blue cheeses. It crumbles like a champ and adds an extra kick to your toppings.
- Stilton: the English delight that offers a rich, creamy texture with a milder blue cheese punch. It's perfect if you want a hint of blue without going overboard.
- Cashel Blue: from Ireland, this guy is creamy, mild, and slightly tangy. It's a popular choice for cheeseboards and salads but we love it on pizza!
More to try this year!
- Danish Blue: is like the friendly neighbour of blue cheeses. It's creamy, slightly sweet, and plays well with all your pizza pals. Again, we love it for its versatility.
- Maytag: from the USA is the bold and rich cousin of blue cheeses.
- Bavarian Blue: a German blue cheese with a mild, creamy taste. It's a relatively mild blue cheese and can be enjoyed in various culinary ways.
Just like Ricotta, Burrata is the epitome of creamy indulgence. If you can resist the temptation to devour the entire ball, it transforms into the perfect pizza topping when gently torn over a pizza crust and baked to pizza perfection!
Crafted by shaping fresh mozzarella into a delicate pouch and then generously filling it with an ultra-soft mozzarella and luscious cream. It's like mozzarella, but with a luxurious twist!
Burrata is one of those cheeses that really elevates a pizza, it just seems to add a luxurious touch that's hard to resist. It’s like inviting an esteemed guest who brings an extra level of sophistication and flavour to every slice. Just don’t sit it next to the pepperoni!
Other good reasons for Burrata on a pizza:
- Gives your pizza an irresistible creamy richness.
- The mix of soft Burrata inside a fresh mozzarella shell adds a fun texture to your pizza.
- Burrata's fancy appearance makes your pizza look amazing – a real head-turner at pizza parties!
- A great match for all sorts of pizza toppings, whether you're going for classic or quirky.
- Its mild, delicate flavour complements other pizza ingredients without taking over.
- Adds a touch of class to your pizza without stealing the show.
- While most cheeses get baked with the pizza, Burrata shines when you plop it on after your pizza's done baking.
Feta cheese on pizza? Oh yes, it's a game-changer! It’s crumbly and tangy, and rocks on a Mediterranean or Greek-style pizza. Saying this it has a distinct and salty flavour that may not appeal to everyone's palate but we’re always up for convincing even the most sceptical.
Here are some other great things about Feta on a pizza:
- Feta cheese is like the best pizza wingman. It plays well with a variety of pizza toppings, whether you're crafting a Mediterranean masterpiece with olives, tomatoes, and oregano, or going for a veggie delight with spinach and roasted red peppers. It's the ultimate team player in the world of pizza toppings.
- It brings some dance moves to your pizza! Its crumbly texture adds a delightful contrast to the ooey-gooey melted cheese and other ingredients. It's like a little surprise party for your taste buds, making every bite an exciting adventure.
- It comes to the rescue by balancing out the richness of creamy sauces or hearty meats. You won't feel overwhelmed, and your pizza will thank you for the perfect harmony.
- Ever seen a pizza that's a true stunner? Feta's snowy-white appearance stands out beautifully against vibrant, colourful toppings. It's like the stylish accessory that takes your pizza's fashion game to the next level. A feast for both your eyes and your taste buds!
- Feta isn't just delicious; it's got some health benefits up its sleeve too! With lower fat and calories compared to some other cheeses, it's a smart choice for those mindful of their diet. Plus, it's a calcium and protein powerhouse – a win-win for pizza lovers who want to keep things balanced.
Check out our nduja and feta pizza.
Vegan cheese has come a long way in recent years, but it still gets a bad rap when it comes to its performance on pizza.
Many pizza enthusiasts, both vegans and non-vegans alike, have had disappointing experiences with vegan cheese, from lacklustre meltability to weird tastes and textures. But the world of vegan cheese is constantly evolving, with new and improved options hitting the market all the time. So, if vegan cheese is your go to then our suggestions would be to:
- Pick the right vegan cheese as not all vegan cheeses are the same. Try different ones to find the melty, tasty option you like best.
- Make sure your oven is good and hot because a hot oven helps vegan cheese melt and get all gooey.
- Drizzle a little olive oil or your favourite cooking oil on the vegan cheese to help it turn golden and yummy.
- Don't go overboard, less is usually better.
- Some vegan cheese brands mix different types for better taste and meltiness. Give them a try!
Gruyère is one of our favourites, especially Reese who has been known to eat a block of Gruyère in one go. She's even been to La Maison du Gruyère in Switzerland to visit the factory. So we named a pizza after her. Check out the Alpine Pizza, otherwise known as Swiss Reese.
It’s got a rich, slightly sweet taste and an irresistible creamy meltiness when it meets heat.
Picture a pizza with a golden-brown, cheesy crown that's both yummy and oh-so-photogenic. So, whether you're a pizza pro or just a casual pizza enthusiast, Gruyère cheese is here to elevate your pizza experience in the cosiest and most delicious way possible.
Here are some reasons why it's a fantastic choice for your pizza creations:
- Has a rich, slightly sweet, and nutty flavour that adds depth and complexity to your pizza but it's not overpowering, so you can add other toppings to shine.
- When it meets heat it turns into a beautifully creamy and velvety texture with a melting point that's just right, creating a golden-brown and gooey magic on your pizza.
- Makes a great partner for lots of pizza toppings and works well with the classics as well as more unique ingredients, so it’s great for a wide range of pizza styles.
In our family, we've got a little secret – an irresistible addiction to Brie! From its velvety texture to its creamy, buttery flavour, Brie is a cheese that has us all hooked. Whether it's on a pizza, paired with crackers, or just a big chunk on its own, Brie makes its way into our hearts and onto our plates more often than we'd like to admit.
When it comes to using Brie on pizza, opt for a young, creamy Brie rather than an aged one. Young Brie is soft, creamy, and has a mild, buttery flavour that pairs so well with loads of toppings. Look for varieties labelled as 'Double Cream' or 'Triple Cream' for the ultimate creaminess. Yum!
Here are some other reasons to put Brie on your pizza:
- Brie is all about that creamy, dreamy texture, melting like a charm in the oven.
- It’s mild, buttery flavour is a crowd-pleaser and doesn't overpower your pizza pals.
- Is pretty versatile, we’ve used it for savoury and sweet combos.
- Spreads evenly, so every slice is smothered in creamy goodness.
- We’re big foodies and pizza lovers so we adore it for its luxurious quality.
- If, like us, your family's got a thing for Brie, pizza nights just got even better. It's a cheese that keeps everyone smiling.
Not your usual suspect when it comes to pizza toppings, mainly because it has a mild, nutty flavour that's a bit on the subtle side.
Unlike Mozzarella or Parmesan, it doesn't scream for attention. But you know what? That's not necessarily a bad thing. If you're feeling a bit adventurous or just want to switch things up, give Emmental a shot on your pizza. It's got a creamy, slightly sweet vibe that can pleasantly surprise your taste buds. So, while it might not be the first cheese that comes to mind for pizza, it can still bring some deliciousness to your pie if you're up for trying something a bit different.
Some other reasons why it's worth giving Emmental a go:
- Much like Brie and Gruyère it doesn’t overwhelm other toppings.
- When heated, Emmental cheese turns into a creamy, gooey delight that blends beautifully with other ingredients.
- It’s great in mixes, working well when combined with other cheeses like Gruyère or Mozzarella.
- If you're going for a European-inspired pizza, Emmental is a natural choice that fits perfectly with the theme.
Try out our wild garlic pizza with Emmental.
Parmesan on pizza is one of those things that sparks heated debates in our homes. Some of us can't get enough of its sharp, cheesy goodness, while the kids mostly prefer a more mellow cheese experience. But hey, that's what makes pizza night interesting, right? You can always have some Parmesan on the side for the die-hard fans to sprinkle as they please. Pizza harmony achieved!
Here are some other great things about Parmesan on a pizza:
- It brings the sharp and salty vibes.
- It packs an umami punch for an extra flavour kick.
- It goes well with loads of toppings.
- The smell makes your pizza sing.
Grate fresh parmigiano over our roasted vegetable pizza.
We left this until the very end, but we all know this is the OG of pizza cheese. The golden ticket to pizza perfection. This creamy, dreamy cheese has earned its spot as the pizza classic, with its unmatched meltability, mild yet rich flavour, and that iconic, mouth-watering stretch that makes every slice a masterpiece.
Whether we’re making a traditional Margherita or venturing into the wildest realms of pizza creativity, it’s never far away.
Other great things about Mozzarella on a pizza:
- It melts like a champ, giving you that classic 'cheese pull'.
- Has a creamy texture that plays nicely with other toppings.
- Doesn't steal the spotlight, leting your sauce, toppings, and crust shine.
- Gets that golden-brown goodness when baked.
- Is traditional and super easy to find in stores.
Download the ultimate cheese pairings on pizza