Pigs in Blankets
Let's talk about an important part of pigs in blankets: the blanket. With so many pastry and dough options out there, it comes down to your personal taste and the kind of vibe you're after. For a bit more chew and a touch of oooft, we recommend giving pizza dough a whirl. It'll give your piggies a hearty, yet tender hug and make your taste buds sing!
- 250g pizza dough will make around 16 pigs in blankets...or should that be pigs in plankets?
- 16 cooked cocktail sausages or mini hot dogs
- 400ml pizza sauce
- 200g grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- Olive oil for brushing
- Preheat your oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas mark 6.
- Lightly brush a baking tray with olive oil.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pizza dough to a large rectangle, about 1/4-inch thick.
- Cut the rolled-out dough into 16 equal-sized rectangles.
- Spread a small spoonful of pizza sauce on each rectangle of dough.
- Sprinkle some grated cheese over the sauce.
- Place a cocktail sausage or mini hot dog at the end of each dough rectangle.
- Roll the sausage up in the dough like a traditional pig in a blanket.
- Place the piggies on the pre-prepared baking sheet, making sure the seam is facing down.
- Lightly brush each doughy blanket with olive oil, and cover with a generous grating of Parmesan cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, until the pizza dough is golden brown.
- Allow to cool slightly, then serve with a bowl of your tomato pizza sauce, or chipotle mayo.
- Oink oink. Watch a video of them.